Monday, January 19, 2009

Blade runner

I can count on my left hand how many times I've mowed the lawns. Three. A grand total of three. I basically suck at the skill of lawn mowing. It's not that I don't care for it, infact on the contrary, I quite like a bit of fresh air and a sneeze in the sun. I'm just not that mowercanically minded is all.

First time was a disaster. Tried to surprise hubby (well, boyfriend he was at that stage) by mowing the lawn so when he came home it would be one less job he'd have to do. Turns out, mowers can be complicated for someone mower illiterate like me. I had no idea the blade had to be moved into the downwards 'cut' position in order for the grass to actually be clipped. And so the story goes, I mowed the whole lawns without cutting particularly many blades of grass at all, apart from the odd one alongside the deck which was slightly longer than those blades in the middle of the lawn.

Hot and bothered I showered and waited excitedly for my beloved to return home. Well, he arrived, and minutes turned into hours, and still no comment of my afternoons effort. Sitting on the couch starting to fume that he was an ungrateful so-in-so having not even mentioned let alone thanked me for my efforts, I made the first move. "Oh" he laughed, "did you". Took himself outside to the deck and had a look. Bent in half laughing he explained to me that you actually need to lower the blade and that my efforts had been in vain. Not quite believing that someone could not notice the length of the lawn hadn't changed one iota from begining to end of session.

Next was the Whakatane house with the 900 odd sqm section to mow which took me hours and I vowed and declared that I would never mow a lawn ever again. But I did. I mowed the lawn here at our new house last week. In a last ditch attempt to right the wrongs of my lawn mowing career as it were. It's not a perfect job, I didn't do the weed eating, but hey, you take what you can get - right?

And THIS time the man did notice. Yay. Twelve years on I got my "thanks for mowing the lawns, it looks great". It was worth the wait.

No comments: